Skip to main content

what's is Pastoral Psychotherapy?


Pamela Cooper-White writes in her book, Many Voices, "pastoral psychotherapy is not a synonym for pastoral counseling, it is a particular and distinct healing intervention in its own right.  That is grounded in both psychoanalytic theory and method, that  are held in a constructive, creation affirming theology."White goes on to say that the special charge of pastoral psychotherapy is to accompany and support individuals, couples and families in recognizing and healing, especially painful psychic wounds and/or long-standing patterns of self-defeating relationships to self and others" (Cooper-White, Pamela   Many Voices  Fortress press, Minneapolishttp://www.amazon.com. Pastoral psychotherapy is not a quick Band-Aid type approach to helping people with their problems.  It is a deep-reaching method of therapy that seeks to get to the core of a person's emotional pain by making what is unconscious in the person conscious.  It is through reviving and working through painful experiences and emotions that healing takes place.  Pastoral psychotherapy may last for a few months or take several years, depending on what the patient wants to work through.  In my work as a pastoral psychotherapist, I have spent many hours with patients listening as they talk through shameful and/ or painful events.  As a pastoral psychotherapist, I respect my patients, religious, beliefs and help them to explore those beliefs to discover what they mean to the patient in the context of their emotional and psychic pains.
Dr. Susan Bowen DMin.
Mind & Spirit Counseling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding depression and chronic illness

A question was posted by a woman to the diabetic support group that I belong to.  This woman asked the group if her diabetes could be causing or contributing to her depression. Yes, yes and yes!    There is a relationship between depression and illness, especially long term or chronic illness.  Illness can be an underlying cause of depression and other and psychological or emotional issues.  Chronic states of disease can contribute to stress, anxiety, anger, depression, and more.  These conditions may be short term or may become chronic just like the illness.  Another way to think if this is, whenever our bodies are unhealthy our minds may suffer.  Short term illnesses will normally have short term mental responses for instance, if you suffer from a cold or the flu that lasts two weeks or even more, we might find that we feel sad because we cannot function in our normal manner.  We have to stay home from work or school and we may miss the daily activities that we enjoy.  In essen

Hounds, Birds and Squirrels, The battle rages on Day two

Round two of the grey squirrel battle begins.  It is the early morning. I spot a squirrel slowly coming out of the oak tree, and   I watch from my window as this ring leader hits the ground. He heads straight for the deck.  His tail is twitching erratically. I am convinced that the ring leader, the one who I named Boris, is sending out an all-clear signal to the infantry.  Suddenly I see them. The brave first squirrel, who was running point position, is followed by two others. I watch from my window as the tree rats survey the situation. Satisfied that the dogs are sleeping unaware of the pending assault, the tree rats begin their ascent to the feeder. Watching from the window now with a cup of coffee firmly in my hand, I call for the reinforcements.   " Come quickly, "I yell to my husband. My hero appears at my side with our son's 35-year-old Red Rider BB rifle in hand.  Pump, pump my husband loads, opens the door aims, and fires. Uninjured but shaken the squirrels, retr

Bubble wrap

This morning I watched the squirrel named Boris as he planned his assault on the bubble-wrapped post on which the bird feeder hung. Boris scrambled onto the deck, hopped on the chair that was closest to the railing,  From that vantage point he made the leap to the deck rail. I watched in awe of Boris as he surveyed his surroundings.  Sitting 3 or 4 inches from the bubble wrap on the deck rail he just sat and stared at the newest weapon that had been deployed the previous day. To my surprise, Boris took two steps toward the bubble wrap, stopped, and then ran off.  I could not believe my eyes was the bubble wrap the secret weapon that I had been seeking? For the balance of this day, there was not a squirrel in sight. The birds were feasting at their leisure with the absence of Boris and his gang.  Unfortunately, things were about to change. Boris returned later in the day along with his first lieutenant. they both scrambled up the deck post and onto the chair. The lieutenant courageously