Skip to main content

thoughts on Trauma

Most of us think of trauma as an event that is life threatening or an event in which one believes that he or she is in imminent danger of losing their life. Examples of a traumatic event would  be the recent mud slides in Washington state. The people involved in those mud slides may experience strong emotions They can experience feelings of fear, panic, guilt, anger and helplessness from that event, Another and unfortunately well know example is the trauma that many of our returning veterans witnessed and experienced during  their service in the middle east and other battle fronts.  Trauma often results in a condition that is called post traumatic Stress disorder or PTSD. The symptoms include hyper arousal, flashbacks, anxiety, depression disassociation and more.Suffers of PTSD might experience nightmares and they may try to avoid people or places that remind them of the event. Sounds, smells or sights can remind a traumatized person of the trauma,sending them into a fearful or panic state.In this state the traumatized person can experience the trauma event as though it is happening in that moment.
     Recently I read about a different kind of trauma. Phillip Bromberg in his book, "The Shadow of the Tsunami "(The Shadow of the Tsunami" [Kindle Edition])
Philip M. Bromberg , Allan N. Schore writes about what he defines as developmental trauma. Bromberg defines this as an early childhood experience in which the child ceases to exist in the mind of his or her parent(s) or parent substitute. A friend of mine once told me a story in which while my friend was a very young child , my friend witnessed her father do something that was very inappropriate for a young child  to see. As my friend was telling the story she looked at me and said, " when this happened to me it was as if  in my father's mind my father I had disappeared. In that moment my friend said she felt as if she did not exist.She no longer mattered. She was not important.This for me was a stunning example of what Bromberg termed developmental trauma.
     This type of trauma may go unnoticed but can play a role in the way we relate and interact with others in our relationships. Bromberg contends that this can lead to a type of disassociation that happens as we interact with others.  Developmental Trauma interferes with our ability to live life fully. Instead we  live hiding  parts of who we are.  These pieces of our selves which Bromberg calls "self-sates" are too painful to acknowledge. Associated with these disassociated self-states  is shame. According to Phillip Bromberg this shame is experienced in two ways. Internally and externally. In other words we are "ashamed" and "we are ashamed of our shame". I hope to write more on trauma and the role of shame in my next blog.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hounds, Birds and Squirrels, The battle rages on Day two

Round two of the grey squirrel battle begins.  It is the early morning. I spot a squirrel slowly coming out of the oak tree, and   I watch from my window as this ring leader hits the ground. He heads straight for the deck.  His tail is twitching erratically. I am convinced that the ring leader, the one who I named Boris, is sending out an all-clear signal to the infantry.  Suddenly I see them. The brave first squirrel, who was running point position, is followed by two others. I watch from my window as the tree rats survey the situation. Satisfied that the dogs are sleeping unaware of the pending assault, the tree rats begin their ascent to the feeder. Watching from the window now with a cup of coffee firmly in my hand, I call for the reinforcements.   " Come quickly, "I yell to my husband. My hero appears at my side with our son's 35-year-old Red Rider BB rifle in hand.  Pump, pump my husband loads, opens the door aims, and fires. Uninjured but shaken the squirrels, retr

Understanding depression and chronic illness

A question was posted by a woman to the diabetic support group that I belong to.  This woman asked the group if her diabetes could be causing or contributing to her depression. Yes, yes and yes!    There is a relationship between depression and illness, especially long term or chronic illness.  Illness can be an underlying cause of depression and other and psychological or emotional issues.  Chronic states of disease can contribute to stress, anxiety, anger, depression, and more.  These conditions may be short term or may become chronic just like the illness.  Another way to think if this is, whenever our bodies are unhealthy our minds may suffer.  Short term illnesses will normally have short term mental responses for instance, if you suffer from a cold or the flu that lasts two weeks or even more, we might find that we feel sad because we cannot function in our normal manner.  We have to stay home from work or school and we may miss the daily activities that we enjoy.  In essen

Bubble wrap

This morning I watched the squirrel named Boris as he planned his assault on the bubble-wrapped post on which the bird feeder hung. Boris scrambled onto the deck, hopped on the chair that was closest to the railing,  From that vantage point he made the leap to the deck rail. I watched in awe of Boris as he surveyed his surroundings.  Sitting 3 or 4 inches from the bubble wrap on the deck rail he just sat and stared at the newest weapon that had been deployed the previous day. To my surprise, Boris took two steps toward the bubble wrap, stopped, and then ran off.  I could not believe my eyes was the bubble wrap the secret weapon that I had been seeking? For the balance of this day, there was not a squirrel in sight. The birds were feasting at their leisure with the absence of Boris and his gang.  Unfortunately, things were about to change. Boris returned later in the day along with his first lieutenant. they both scrambled up the deck post and onto the chair. The lieutenant courageously